Well, should you track macros? No doubt that dude above would be ALL OVER macro counting.
If you spend any time online and following those in the fitness industry there’s no doubt you have come across the term “IIFYM”. This stands for “If it fits your macros” and it’s a way of tracking food based around the 3 macronutrients, fat, protein, and carbohydrates. You might have wondered should you track macros too? There are many websites with macro calculators to figure out how much of each you should be aiming for each day so it’s easy to find a lot of info.
Many people will swear that you this is the only true way to find success whether it be fat loss or muscle building. My podcast today discusses what IIFYM is all about, if this is necessary for success and if it’s even possible to correctly count what you’re taking in each day accurately.
Fun fact: Did you know the Counts full name is Count Von Count? And Sesame Street insists that he is not a vampire. They also never told you that Snuffleupagus’ first name is Aloysius. The same middle name as Pee Wee Herman. Look it up..
O.K enough 80’s facts, let’s get on with the show
In This Episode On If You Should Track Macros You Will Learn:
- A quick breakdown of what protein, fat, and carbs are used for in the body
- The difference between macro and micro nutrients
- The other macronutrient everyone always forgets about
- Where the IIFYM movement came from
- What a calorie really is and how they determine the number of calories in food
- Why counting calories properly might actually be impossible
- Your bodies set point, homeostasis and why you can’t treat it like a calculator
- Why even being slightly off in your food tracking can result in massive weight gain
- Why it may be impossible to determine how many calories your body needs each day and the many factors that affect this on a daily basis
- The ONE big issue that tends to be disregarded as it concerns successful IIFYM advocates
- Why tracking food does have some merit, for a short while..
- A much better way to determine how much you should be eating each day
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- Podcast episode # 39: The Calorie Myth w/ NYT Bestselling author Jonathan Bailor
- The book: The Calorie Myth
- How much protein do you really need? Podcast or Blog
- Understanding dietary fat: Blog or Podcast
- Episode #108: How to determine your portion sizes
- My free healthy eating starter kit eBook
So Should You Track Macros?
Hopefully, I helped fill you in on this whole issue. Like I mentioned, there may be some who disagree with what I’m saying as they have great success with doing so. But remember what I said in the episode about the couple of things that seem to really determine your results.
As someone who spent YEARS counting calories, I think I can safely say that for me I don’t want to be a slave to food. When you begin to obsess too much over the fine details I’m afraid you’re getting away from true wellness.
I think there is some merit for a short while for tracking macros but I explain why that is in the episode. If you’re in physique competitions where you need to dial it in it becomes much more important but the majority of people aren’t. The main thing is if you hear someone say that one thing is the ONLY true way to go about your health then that should be a big red flag in your pretty little face.
But to leave this on a lighter note let’s finish with a great 80’s cereal commercial that to me features the Count from Sesame streets true rival..