Have you wondered why are trans fats so bad? Fat, and specifically saturated fat, has been really vilified over the years but we’re getting a better understanding as to why it’s not as bad as we once thought. This is of course provided that we’re getting the right type of fat. The advice to avoid fat is a valid one you just want to make sure you’re avoiding a truly bad fat and that’s what trans fats are.
I’m sure you’ve seen a lot of products claiming “zero trans fats!” and for good reason too. Our understanding of this deadly type of fat has really grown and we’re closer and closer to it being outright banned.
On the podcast today I want to get you up to speed or give you a refresher, on what trans fat is, where it comes from, why it was continued to be used and most importantly, why it’s so bad for you.
Fat Albert Fun Facts: The Fat Albert gang was from North Philadelphia, no word if they ran into a young Will Smith in West Philadephia.
In This Episode On Why Are Trans Fats So Bad? You Will Learn:
- How a trans fat is made
- What makes it so harmful compared to other fats
- The dangers of refinement and isolation of different sources
- what the hydrogenation process is
- Where trans fats are found
- How trans fats affect texture and mouth feel and why this is so important
- The real reason you saw so many products containing trans fats
- The issues with coronary heart disease
- what the research was saying going back to the 1940’s
- The death rate associated with trans fat into the 80’s and 90’s
- How manufacturers hide trans fats in products
- Why a single item can contain multiple servings
- The crack down on trans fats and why this is so important
- Steps to take to make sure you’re avoiding them
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- The trans fat/coronary heart disease connection
- 100,000 deaths a year from trans fat
- Trans fats being hidden in your label
O.K, It’s Time To Make Like A Tree & Get Outta Here
Hopefully, you found this episode informative or at least was a good refresher on this whole mess we call trans fats. It’s important to get yourself educated on important topics like this so if you had been wondering why are trans fats so bad you came to the right place.
If you’re new here, welcome and make sure to check out all my older episodes as I cover a ton of nutrition and health information just like this but also take you a trip back to the 80’s while doing so. It’s the greatest decade ever and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
So before this get’s too ugly here’s the last few housekeeping items: